Gum Health Day 2019 Azerbaijan
Azerbaijani Society of Periodontology has actively celebrated 12 May Gum Health Day, an international awareness day, jointly organised by the European Federation of Periodontology and its 37 affiliated members. Activities took place under the slogan ‘Healthy gums, beautiful smile’. The aim this day was to increase the public awareness about the importance of gum health around teeth and implants,to emphasize the role of early diagnosis and treatment of gum disease, and highlight its relevant relationship with pregnancy, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases in Azerbaijani population.
The Society have organized a range of activities in Azerbaijan:
- Full translationof infographics, posters, banners and media covers in Azerbaijani language and active dissemination of them via social media, to Society members, universities, dentists and medical professionals in private and government practice.
- Free periodontal screenings of almost 150 patientshave been conducted by Society members in private and university clinics with additional information about the importance of periodontal health, prevention of gum disease and treatment recommendations.
- A press releaseabout the importance of early diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease and activities related to GHD 2019 via main state news agency and Azerbaijani Ministry of Health websites.
- Dr. Cavid Ahmedbeyli & Dr. Rahim Garayev, have delivered “Prevention, early diagnostics and treatment of periodontal diseases in Diabetes patients” full day seminar with a special attention to the Gum Health Day, to the dentists involved in the state continuing dental education programs in Periodontology at the Azerbaijan State Advanced Training Institute for Doctors Department of Stomatology and Maxillofacial Surgery;“Current approaches in the treatment of periodontal disease” seminars were hosted by Dr. Ramiz Ahmedbeyli and Dr. Aslan Mammadov for the undergraduate and postgraduate dental students at Azerbaijan Medical University Dental School.
- The visit by the Society Members was organised to the Bilgah Public Elderly Care Nursing Home(Social Service for Pensioners of the Azerbaijan State Social Protection Fund in Bilgah). This activity was supported by the GlaxoSmithKline Azerbaijan. More than 250 pensioners were diagnosed and informed about their problems in the oral cavity and required treatments, provided with neccessary oral care products and detailed information about the importance of the oral health, preventionof caries and gum disease, its relationship between diabetes, smoking and cardiovascular diseases, as well as on the proper cleaning and care of removable dental prosthesis.
On behalf of Azerbaijani Society of Periodontology and Dr. Rustam Aghazada, Gum Health Day 2019 Coordinator, we sincerely thank our members, universities, government organizations, dental companies and media for joining us in fighting dental & periodontal disease together in Azerbaijan.